If you are looking for a way to access various websites blocked by the government such as Tumblr, you might need this one application. Actually, the benefits of the OpenVPN application are not only that. Anything? Find out more through reading this article. This article will also discuss in full and briefly how to use it on various devices, whether on Android or Windows.
What is OpenVPN?
OpenVPN is an application/software that is open source. The point is to access the internet through Virtual Private Networking or often abbreviated as VPN.
How does OpenVPN work?
OpenVPN itself works by creating an encrypted PTP Tunnel (Point-To-Point Tunnel) connection. OpenVPN uses Private Keys and Certificates, or more clearly by using a username and password to authenticate to establish a connection.
What are the Benefits of OpenVPN?
This application is not only you can use to access blocked sites and can hide your IP address when accessing the internet. Here is a complete explanation of the benefits you can get by using OpenVPN on your device!
- You can surf / bro anonymously. With the access or connection through this VPN, your real IP address will remain safe from the eyes of others. Why is that? Because when you surf on the internet using a VPN, the IP Address that is visible is the IP address of the VPN server, not your own IP Address. This certainly makes you comfortable accessing the internet, if you view privacy as an important value in this digital era.
- You can access websites blocked by your provider or government. Of course, you understand that some websites go through a surveillance system that is still a debate in various countries, especially in Indonesia. Some people just want to read private blogs that do not contain any SARA content on Tumblr, but Tumblr is blocked so that these people are upset with the government policy. Now, with the VPN, you can still access the website as usual.
- You can actually access the internet for free without credit and without internet quota using this OpenVPN. So, you can browse without paying. Actually, almost all providers in Indonesia can be used for this free access. For GSM, usually Telkomsel, Indosat, XL, AXIS, 3. Whereas CDMA is usually Smartfren, Asia, Flexi. Regarding speed when browsing, this depends on your signal and whether or not the BTS Traffic is congested in your area.
- The other benefits are that you can improve the security of your device (both the system and all data stored on it) when using public WiFi. You need to know that free internet access that is open to the public is very vulnerable to hacking and the entry of malicious malware. This VPN application can be a way to protect you from these things.
- You certainly don’t want your data to be monitored by third parties while you access the internet. Now, with the application, all connections that occur are encrypted so that only you know the search history or the sending of your data.
Actually, there are many other benefits from OpenVPN. The points we mentioned above are the main benefits of OpenVPN. Even though OpenVPN has many benefits, there are actually some disadvantages of OpenVPN. OpenVPN will generally make your connection a little slower. But that weakness is of course covered by the many advantages or benefits of OpenVPN. Now, we will discuss how to use OpenVPN on various devices so that you can immediately feel the benefits.
How to use OpenVPN on Android
For those of you smartphone users with the Android operating system, you can follow the steps below to run OpenVPN!
- First, try downloading the OpenVPN Connect application for Android, you can also search on your Google Play Store and install it.
- Then try to download the OpenVPN config that is still active. You can just look for it on search engines like Google or Facebook groups. You can even try making it yourself. Please find instructions on how to make it by browsing.
- If the active OpenVPN config is available, you can install and run the OpenVPN application.
- You select the three-point icon on the top right on the screen of your smartphone.
- Click “Import”.
- Then click “Import Profile From SD Card”.
- Now please search for the config in the “.ovpn” format that you saved in the previous stage, then please click “Select”.
- Then how do you run it? You just run the config by clicking “Connect”. Then please wait for the process to connect, if successful, you will see a “Connected” notification.
- Finally, try browsing as usual. OpenVPN can function.
How to use OpenVPN on Windows
Do the steps below to be able to use OpenVPN on your laptop or PC!
- Install on the available OpenVPN download link. Then don’t forget to change the settings to “Run as Admin” for Windows 7 users and above.
- Next, please download the OpenVPN config and select the download server you want. Actually, you can also search for other download links by doing a search on Google. You just enter the keyword/keyword “download config OpenVPN”.
- Extract from the OpenVPN file from the link config in the previous stage. Then you will get an OpenVPN file or folder on your laptop / PC.
- Then, please move the OpenVPN file / folder into “C: / Program Files / OpenVPN / config”. If you find a file other than OpenVPN in there, please move it to another place.
- Please use the internet as usual. Whether it’s wifi or modem. Then try setting your port as desired. For example, you enter 8080 for inject. Then, don’t forget to click “Start”
- Open the “OpenVPN GUI” program through the steps: click “Start”> “All Programs”> “OpenVPN”> “OpenVPN GUI” (Position in the lower right corner, near the clock)
- Right-click on “OpenVPN GUI”, select “Settings”> “Manual Configuration”> “HTTP Proxy”. Then in the Address section, please enter the combination number “127.0.01” and in the Port section enter the number in the previous stage (for example) “8080”. Then click “OK”
- Right-click again on “OpenVPN GUI”, click “Connect”. Then please enter the username and password that you have previously created on the download config website. Wait for the color on the OpenVPN GUI icon to turn green.
- Now try running browsing as usual. If all of the steps you have done without being missed, OpenVPN will work.
That’s how to use OpenVPN on Android and Windows. Happy surfing the internet without a hitch! As a cheap and cheap VPS hosting provider that has international quality certification, we are committed to your success online. You can read our other articles on Dewaweb’s blog to get informative and interesting content about IT, especially website development and online business development.